Service for Special Needs
It was established to provide innovative teaching techniques and philosophy that continues to have far-reaching effects on the lives of visually challenged and taking them to new heights of independence. It is a unique computer reading facility for visually impaired. The Centre aims to provide barrier-free access and independent reading of library materials. The Centre believes that with proper training and opportunity, visually challenged people can compete on terms of equality with their sighted peers.
The Centre has acquired the latest assisting technologies to help visually impaired readers with scanners for reading print materials. Air-conditioned lab with four computers loaded with software like JAWS, Kurzweil K1000 OCR Reading software and hardware like Read it wand and Read easy Move, Seika reader.
The various devices used are:
- JAWS (Job Access With Speech) and NVDA (Non Visual Desktop Access) : JAWS is a voice synthesizing software – Identifying and Reading what is on the screen.
- Kurzweil Reading Software and ABBYY Fine Reader : Scanning and converting the printed or electronic word into speech.
- Magic – Screen Magnification Software : Magnifying the computer screen from 1 to 16 times its usual size. Also read text or point to with the mouse.
- ReadEasy Move with Voice Synthesizer support: ReadEasy Move device any printed text out loud within seconds, in a clear human sounding voice.
- ReadIt Wand : The ReadIt Wand is for any visually impaired computer user, who wants near instant and accurate access to printed or electronic documents. Letters, receipts, bank statements, books, product packaging etc. are all read with ease.
- Seika Braille Display : Braillle display the computer screen, create and save notes, or read books and documents by the visually impaired