What is Plagiarism?
Plagiarism is passing off someone else's work, whether intentionally or unintentionally, as your own for your own benefit" (Carroll, 2002, p. 9). It is important to understand that plagiarism even if it is unintentional is unacceptable and is not excused.
Plagiarism detection is the process of locating instances of plagiarism in a work or document. The widespread use of computers and the advent of the internet have made it easier to plagiarise the work of others. We are getting access to anti-plagiarism software from INFLIBNET as we have signed MOU for shodhganga. From the year 2014 access is provided to Turnitin & iThenticate, and from the year 2015 access is provided for Urkund software
Procedure for Plagiarism Check
While submitting the soft copy of the Ph.D theses for check with plagiarism detection software, the research scholars and supervisors, who are submitting their theses to the Avinashilingam Institute for Home Science and Higher Education for Women are solicited to consider the following guidelines.
- The CD (or such device) containing the soft copy of the doctoral theses has to be in PDF or Word file (or as directed from time to time).
- Theses covering all the chapters, from introduction to bibliography/references shall be in a single file, excluding preliminary pages: declaration, acknowledgement, abstract, list of charts and abbreviations, tables of contents, etc., and succeeding pages: glossary, index, questionnaire, etc.
- Duration of one day is allowed for scanning the text of the theses and the issue of the report depicting the percentage of similar content.
- In case the percentage of similar content is beyond the permitted limit or any plagiarized content is detected, the researchers have to take appropriate measures under the supervision of their guides as to ensure originality of research output.
- The researchers are informed to acknowledge accurately the right authors and sources given in the text within quotes. Uniformity and consistency are to be maintained in rendering bibliographic references. An accepted standard format has to be followed for rendering references.
- The Library will provide plagiarism check service to all research scholars of the Institute.
- For languages like Tamil, Hindi, French, etc. no software is available in our Institution for plagiarism check.
Plagiarism Check for Staff / Student Publication
The students and staff members are requested to fill the application form for plagiarism verification and forward it through the concerned Head of the Department. The document should be forwarded through email or CD. After verification, the hard copy of the report will be issued by the librarian with a signature and seal.
Report to the Readers
The articles received from the readers are verified within a day. The report will be sent within 24 hours. The librarian sent the report to the concerned faculty/ student with the following information
- Name of the Research Scholar
- Roll No. and Year of Registration
- Name of the Research Guide
- Title of the Thesis / Dissertation
- Similarity Percentage (%)
- Software Used
- Date of Verification
- Name (Staff/Student/Research scholar)
- Class - Faculty/ Ph.D/ M.Phil , Enrollment No.
- Department, Mobile
- Email ID
- Type – Abstract, Paper, Project, Conference, Journal Article
- Title of Abstract/Paper/Theses/Dissertation/ Project/Conference/Journal Article
- % OF SIMILARITY along with Acceptable maximum limit
For Plagiarism Manual Click Here